07 August, 2015

Concert Review: Andris Nelsons and Yannick Nezet-Sequin

Note: I forgot about writing about these, so these are just very brief comments.

pics from NYT.

April 16, 2015, Carnegie Hall
Boston Symphony Orchestra/Andris Nelsons/Christian Tetzlaff
Shostakovich/Beethoven

I was very eager to hear Nelsons. My expectations were only partially fulfilled. Shostakovich's Pasacaglia from Act II of Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk was a crisp opener. The BSO sounded very much better than heard many years ago. I particularly loved the very refined woodwinds. The Symphony No. 10 was very well played and theatrical, but missed greatness as it did not show much angst. Beethoven's Violin Concerto was very well played by Tetzlaff, and ensemble was tight.

NYT review


May 14, 2015, Carnegie Hall
Philadelphia Orchestra/Yannick Nezet-Sequin/Emanuel Ax
Muhly/Beethoven/Rachmaninov


Again, Nezet-Sequin left me just a little short of enthusiastic. Nico Muhly's Mixed Messages was an entertaining opener. Beethoven Piano Concert No. 3 was capably played by Ax and well partnered by the orchestra. I went to hear the Rachmaninov Symphony No. 3, one of my favorite works. It was a good performance but missed greatness (think recordings by Boult and Ashkenazy), lacking wistfulness and grandeur by turn.


NYT review

No comments:

Post a Comment