14 September, 2011

Bach, Musica Antiqua Koln and Tadao Ando


Bach, Musica Antiqua Koln and Tadao Ando

I recently chanced upon this 2007 Berlin Classics DVD of Bach's Art of the Fugue. Two things caught my attention:

-it was played by my favorite Musica Antiqua Koln, who disbanded immediately after.

-the playing took place in a building (museum) in Germany designed by Tadao Ando.

I watched it on 中秋節 and was riveted by the musical performance. After a while, the (minimalist) architectural lines under the camera's obsessive scrutiny became tedious, even narcissistic, but the magnificent music carried the day.

The director of the film speaks here.

Someone has loaded most of the video on youtube. As you know, piecing things together this way is not at all easy. At the bottom is my feeble attempt. For completeness, I urge you to buy the video.



Contrapunctus 1:



Continued:



Contrapunctus 4:



Canon a la ottava:



Contrapunctus 5:



Canon a la decima:



Contrapunctus 8 (click here; cannot embed)

Contrapunctus 9:



Contrapunctus 12:



Fuga a 2 Clavier:



Canon per augmentationem:



Contrapunctus 14:

No comments:

Post a Comment