18 November, 2008

Concert Review: Repin/Lugansky

September 14th, 2008
Vadim Repin/ Nicolai Lugansky
Debussy/Prokofiev/Beethoven
Avery Fisher Hall

Last time I heard Repin's recital was with Boris Berezovsky. Lugansky has been making a name for himself and I was eager to hear the partnership.
Things started off beautifully with one of the best Debussy sonata I have heard, including recordings. Repin was truly refined and his grace meant style in this piece, in my opinion a difficult nut to crack. I did not hear too much subtlety in his partner's playing, but the whole was winsome.
Prokofiev is one of my favorite composers, and I was a little disappointed by the performance. The second movement lacked the ultimate ferocity, and elsewhere much of Prokofiev's lyricism did not come through. Lugansky's playing, besides its lack of subtlety, was too forceful for me, sometimes drowning out his partner.
The "Kreutzer" was very well played. Again, it was not the most singing performance, but Repin had the full measure. Here, Lugansky started to really bother me by his lack of insight.
A mixed bag for me, but the New York Times review was more enthusiastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment