02 November, 2019

Note from Mumbai

Note From Mumbai

Dear Readers, I am excited to have my friend Vivek R contributing occasionally. He lives in Mumbai. From what I have read the City receives some very interesting musicians. As one who has particular interest in Russian artists, I read with envy.

"...Meanwhile in Mumbai a whole season passed by. Like that! 

Lazarev conducting Stravinsky’s Petrushka was amazing. It was preceded by Barry Dougas playing a competent Brahms Piano Concerto 2 (not one of my favourites). 

Lazarev apparently conducted a brilliant Spartacus and Tchaikovsky which I missed. Underwhelming (for me) was Barry Douglas’s Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition (big sound but missing drama, but many others seemed to have enjoyed it - I heard Sofya Gulyak a few years ago and man did that have all the drama) and a patchy Midori concert - an awesome Debussy being standout. 

There was also a piano for 4 hands with Roberto Prosseda and his wife - a very lovely concert with a pretty Mendelssohn and fantastic Ravel (Mother Goose) and Schubert Fantasia. 

There was also a great concert with Marat Bisangaliev and Prosseda playing Chausson concerto for violin, piano and strings and Mendelssohn which I am biased to like!  Alas I was in the throes of Office politics that evening and the mind wandered. 

Lazarev conducting Russian music. Outstanding! (editor: completely agree!)

Vivek 

Ps. A moment of pride for me. Someone did a bootleg recording that I don’t condone but am grateful as it features my youngest on the cello for an encore. My eldest debuted as a second violinist (first row).

No comments:

Post a Comment